– January 2023 –
OLLIP P.C. is seeking to hire a Trademark Agent/Junior Lawyer (2+ years post-call, trainees welcome) to join its Trademark Prosecution & Industrial Design Group. The position is in-person/hybrid, and applications will be considered on a rolling basis until a suitable candidate is found.
About the Firm
OLLIP P.C. is a boutique law firm specializing in intellectual property and technology law, located in Ottawa. We protect IP assets for clients of all sizes (whether they be small, trendy local businesses or large multi-national corporations) across the province, country, and the globe.
By offering a broad range of IP experience—brand protection, litigation and appeals, copyrights, domain names, trademarks, industrial designs and mobile and e-commerce products—we have become a leading Canadian IP agency, helping to prepare, file, prosecute, protect and renew IP rights.
Perks About Working with a Small, Boutique Firm
Unlike at larger, full-service firms – where professionals and staff can be hampered by a multitude of procedures and layers of administration – we take a more informal approach to structure. So, you have more independence and your input has immediate impact. We also do not have billable hour targets. Rather, our focus is client-centric – producing quality work. We provide big firm expertise (with a similar client portfolio range) and a wide breadth of file experience in a smaller and collegial environment.
We are seeking a motivated and organized Trademark Agent (or Junior Lawyer (2+ years post-call) with intentions to pursue the Trademark Agent designation within the next three (3) years to join the Firm’s Trademark Prosecution & Industrial Design Group. The position is located in Ottawa with remote/hybrid options. Responsibilities include:
- Researching and drafting trademark/industrial design applications;
- Managing and responding to trademark/industrial design office actions;
- Managing domestic and foreign trademark/industrial design portfolios, analyzing trademark searches and drafting trademark registrability opinions;
- Advising clients on trademark/industrial design matters, including registrability, licensing, and transfers;
- Researching and drafting affidavits, statements of oppositions, written representations, and other filings with CIPO in section 45 cancellation and opposition proceedings;
- Providing trademark/industrial design litigation support;
- Assisting in updating the Firm’s Thomson Reuters loose-leaf publication, Odutola on Canadian Trademark Practice;
- Keeping apprised of developments in trademark/industrial design law, CIPO processes and procedures, and other relevant topics;
- Managing docket systems and maintaining/updating precedents;
- Supervising the work product of a team of law clerks who support the practice;
- Assist in training/mentorship of colleagues and law clerks in the practice group; and
- Other relevant duties as assigned.
- Juris Doctor (J.D.) or other post-secondary education degree preferred
- Trademark Agent Designation with the College of Patent Agents & Trademark Agents (“CPATA”) OR
- Minimum 1-2 years of practice in trademark prosecution matters, with an intention to pursue the Trademark Agent designation within three (3) years from the date of hiring
- The successful candidate must be registered as a Trademark Agent Trainee with CPATA upon acceptance of an Offer of Employment from the Firm, OR will be registered as one shortly after acceptance of an Offer of Employment
- Outstanding persuasive drafting skills to convince trademark examiners and/or Board Members in s. 45 cancellation and opposition proceedings
- Prosecution practice management experience preferred, but not required
- Excellent computer software skills, including Microsoft Office, as well as prior experience with legal software (e.g., docketing, document management, and precedent management programs)
- High technological aptitude considered an asset (including review of automated software results, search engine optimization, and other software-driven / computer-automated processes)
- Experience in business development is an asset
- Bilingualism is an asset
Salary commensurate with other small IP boutique firms in Ottawa, ON, as well as experience of applicant. Negotiable.
- No billable hour requirement
- Work-Life Balance
- Relaxed dress code
- Coverage of CPATA professional and insurance fees
- Health & Dental Benefits
- Life & Disability Benefits
- 3 weeks’ vacation
How to Apply
Applications are to be submitted via email only at email@example.com, and will be held in the strictest confidence.
Please include the following documents in your application, and merged as a searchable single PDF document:
- Cover letter (addressed to Bayo Odutola, Managing Principal of Ollip P.C.);
- Curriculum Vitae; and
- Post-secondary transcript (law school/J.D. Program only, or other transcript reflecting highest educational level attained).
OLLIP P.C.’s Response to COVID-19
OLLIP has introduced a COVID-19 mandatory vaccination policy that requires full vaccination against COVID-19. Accordingly, an offer of employment will be conditional upon the successful candidate providing proof of full vaccination. Any exemption request will be considered on a case-by-case basis and granted only where the request meets the requirements of applicable legislation.
Applications to be accepted on a rolling basis, until suitable candidate is found.
To learn more about Ollip P.C., visit our website at ollip.com.