Bayo Odutola, Managing Principal
Bayo Odutola has over 27 years of experience practicing intellectual property (IP), privacy, cybersecurity and data protection law. He handles all aspects of IP litigation (opposition, cancellation/expungement proceedings and domain name disputes), prosecution, acquisition, clearance and advice with a particular emphasis on trademarks, copyright, licensing and technology-related issues. Bayo has handled numerous proceedings before the Canadian Trademarks Office, the Federal Court and the Federal Court of Appeal. He has represented clients from Juno and Academy Award winners to chemical companies, chocolate manufacturers and pizzerias.
Additionally, Bayo has assisted large and small businesses in Ontario and beyond with their privacy, cybersecurity, and data protection needs. He has developed a particular expertise in privacy, cybersecurity, data protection and data hosting agreements with banks, hospitals, retailers, insurance companies and pharmaceutical companies. He has been called on for his advice to handle privacy breaches, as well as responding to investigations and complaints.
He is certified as a specialist in IP (Trademark/Copyright) Law by the Law Society of Ontario and has served on LSO’s Committee for the Certification of Specialists in Intellectual Property Law.
Bayo was also a member of the Federal Judicial Advisory Committee for Ontario – East & North (“FJAC”) from 2019-2023. During his tenure, he assessed all candidates seeking federal judicial appointments (Ontario Superior Court & Federal Courts) and provided recommendations to the Minister of Justice. As a former member of the FJAC, he now volunteers his time on a pro bono basis, providing informational sessions on the judicial appointment process.
- Bar of Ontario, 1996
- Fellow of the Intellectual Property Institute of Canada (IPIC)
- Pharmaceutical Trademarks Group (PTMG)
- MARQUES, the Association of European Trade Mark Owners
- European Communities Trademark Association (ECTA)
- Adjunct Professor of Law, University of Ottawa, 2003-2004
- Law Society of Ontario, 1996
- Registered Trademark Agent, 1996
- University of Ottawa, LL.B, 1994
- Université de Lausanne, B.C.L., 1990
- Ranked as a top trademark professional in the World Trademark Review 1000(2014 and 2015 editions)
- Top Forty under 40 business people by the Ottawa Business Journal
- Author of the two volume authoritative loose leaf manual: